I am proud to be from Sherwood Park and am proud to have made my home in Ward One.
I am honoured to have served on Council since 2017 as the County Councillor for Ward One.
Strathcona County’s history as a humble, hardworking and creative community drives my work to preserve our core services, find innovation across government, and empower our businesses and residents to succeed.
As we’ve navigated the COVID-19 pandemic together, we’ve seen firsthand how inclusion, safety and resiliency are vital to the long-term success of our community – which need to be addressed as part of all decisions Council makes to ensure Strathcona County can continue to be prosperous.
While I had always been politically engaged, I never thought that I would be the person running for political office. However, after careful consideration and encouragement from friends, family, and mentors, I stepped forward in 2017 to run for Ward One. I was legitimately shocked in earning the most votes among anyone running for Council in 2017, including the highest percentage of vote. I never expected that my neghibours would lend me almost 64% of the vote to become your Councillor.
Since that day in 2017, I have worked for the people of Ward One in Sherwood Park to make Strathcona County the best community it can be. Although we have been able to accomplish many things together over the past four years together, there is still work to be done.
Born and raised right here in Sherwood Park, my love for our community continues to grow.
Prior to my time on Council, I worked with the Royal Bank for almost a decade and learned the value of a dollar and the importance of setting a budget and living within your means.
With the bank, I worked with both young and old, both rich and poor and what struck me is that people generally want the same things.
They want happiness, security and prosperity. I believe the role of government is to offer people an equal opportunity to achieve that, while being treated with respect. All this must be done while being responsible with the public purse.
I believe that a dollar saved is a dollar earned.
I've worked with small businesses in assisting them build their footprint and assist them to have the cashflow to add new employees. I believe that a job that makes you happy and allows you to provide for your family is more important than any government program.
I believe in people. I believe that people want the best for their community. I believe in listening to what my neighbours want.
I believe people want their representatives to be their voice to government, rather than the voice of government to them.
I believe in effective communications. I believe that people deserve representation that not only listens to them, but also engages with them on their turf. Whether that place is at the coffee shop, the ice rink, or the doorstep. Your representatives can't just wait for people to walk in the front door, they need to go to you.
I grew up in Mills Haven. I graduated from Salisbury Composite High School. I went to University at the University of Alberta and Simon Fraser University in BC.
I am proud to have my roots in Ward One here in Sherwood Park and I look forward to earning your trust and hopefully your vote in the coming months.
Since my election, in addition to my role on Council, I’m pleased to have undertaken other roles representing Strathcona County on numerous boards, committees, and task forces.
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) representative for the Rural Municipalities of Alberta
- FCM Committee member
- FCM Prairies Caucus member
- FCM Rural forum member
- FCM Standing Committee on Environmental and Sustainable Development
- FCM Standing Committee on Municipal Infrastructure and Transportation Policy
- Alberta Urban Municipalities Association member (AUMA)
- Rural Municipalities Association member (RMA)
- Alberta's Industrial Heartland Association
- Regional Agriculture Master Plan - Task Force
- Integrated Transportation Master Plan - Task Force
- River Valley Alliance
- Capital Region Northeast Water Service Commission
- Edmonton Salutes
- Intermunicipal Affairs Committee with Sturgeon County
- Pioneer Housing Foundation (Chair)
- Community Living Advisory Committee
- Agriculture Service Board
- Traffic Safety Advisory Committee
- Chief Commissioner Selection Committee
- Economic Development and Tourism Advisory Committee
- Finance Advisory Committee
- Environmental Advisory Committee
- Energy Exploration Advisory Committee
- Recovery Governance Task Force
- Economic Resiliency Task Force
Taking on these varied roles and responsibilities as a Councillor has allowed me to understand the complexities that make Strathcona County unique, realize efficiencies in our local government and find solutions to long-standing challenges in our communities.